Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Felted crochet

I have a nasty habit of starting multiple projects at a time. As of current, I'm working on a christmas present for a friend, a vest for my husband, and a blanket for my youngest daughter.

A friend of mine got me interested in felted crochet, which I told myself that I would never do. Until I saw this:

(the BAG)

I have a huge obsession with bags. And this bag, to me, is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the colouring, the simple granny square design, yet it didn't seem tacky at all. In my mind, I envisioned a similar bag but with purple and pink colouring, and most likely a different style of bag. I also brainstormed on how to add a zipper to the bag.

Following this, I went to the closest department store, and found this:


Bernat English Rose wool yarn for felting. And I literally fell in love with this colour scheme. Although the gauge is different, I decided to buy it anyways, and bought the remaining 4 balls of yarn, hoping that it's enough for my project. They recommend a 6.5 size hook, which I think I'll follow, since in the original pattern, they recommend a size 8 hook for size 8 yarn. That means my squares will be a lot smaller, but I'll just make more.

I also made a small square when I got home, and briefly hand-felted it in hot water to see the effects, and the results were promising. As this project is wholly for me, I'll be updating as my project progresses.

My only worry is that b/c the yarn is a mix of colours, the granny square scheme won't show very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment